So.... our Christmas card this year say nothing about Christmas. And I'm a little dissapointed in myself. Because our family completely and without a doubt celebrates the birth of Christ!
I picked it because of it's pretty design. REALLY?!?!
While I still like it, I will try next year to make sure that our card does not leave out the very reason that we are celebrating this season. Because He's kind of a big deal.
The term "Happy Holiday's" has slowly crept into our society and well-meaning Christians, like myself, have totally fallen for it without even realizing it! This season is not about the magic of snow, sugar cookies, cozy fires, presents, time with family and friends, trees, lights, or Santa. While some of that may be going on in our peripheral vision, our family's focus will be on Jesus.
Not on Santa.
Or piling mountains of gifts under our tree.
Or wondering how we are going to pay for those gifts.
Or going to church on Christmas Eve to socialize and see all the cute kids.
Our society's take on Christmas is like having a birthday party for Jesus, but everyone's too excited about the cake, games, and party favors to even remember who the party's really for. I'd be pretty bummed if Wade threw me a party for my birthday (which is next month!) and everyone at the party was too busy talking about some guy named Santa to really even notice me.
So yes, our family will be doing Christmas a little different from now on. Next year I want to try a Jesse Tree during the month of December. We'll continue to do very few gifts but instead put money in their savings account and have fun shopping for our Adopt-A-Family. Or maybe taking part in Operation Christmas Child where you pack a shoe box with small toys & personal care items for a child in an orphanage, while at the same time spreading the Gospel.
Our traditions are just beginning to take shape, but we are determined to keep our focus on the little baby Jesus who was sent here to Earth to die for our sins. What an amazing gift!
No comments:
Post a Comment