We made it back to the van where I quickly called Wade, who was at work,
to tell him what was going on. We decided to meet back at our house,
drop the kids off with Mary (who had miraculously just gotten into town,
without a clue as to what was going on) and assess the situation. We
got home around 11:30ish and I was hurtin'. I ate little McDonalds, and
we were only home for about 15 minutes until we decided we'd better head
back to the hospital.
Once we got checked in and got "comfortable" I was getting pretty uncomfortable pretty fast. I'll probably never do a home birth, but I was highly considering it during my labor with Jasper. As I was working through contractions, I was flooded with annoying questions from a dozen or so nurses. (All just doing their job, I know, but asking me what my best learning style is during the middle of an intense contraction just about sent me over the edge)
I labored for a couple hours and it was TOUGH. I walk around the room, listened to Pandora, squatted on the toilet, sat on the birthing ball, talked with Wade and my midwife and I don't even remember what else I did to get through it. Kim had a student with her that day who was observing and at one point she said to me, "Wow, I'm really enjoying this - this is so neat!" I wanted to punch her, and I'm pretty sure I smiled and told her I was so glad this was entertaining her. Mean, I know. I'm sorry Student Lady! It was towards the end and I had little patience or any tolerance left for anything.
I hate labor, but it's such an empowering feeling to do it without pain medication. It puts all other physical pain in my life into perspective and it blows my mind every time of what my body's capable of - it's so intense that you think you can't stand one more ounce of agony and you're ready to give up. And yet, you don't (or pretty much can't) just throw in the towel. You keep on, keeping on. And it's AWFUL. and PAINFUL. and somehow beautiful all at the same time. It really is amazing. I've learned to not fight the surges of pain, but to be calm and relax through them. I don't yell, scream or moan. I basically just shut up and get through it. And seriously, the gift that God gives you at the end of it is so incredible and so worth it that I would go through it a hundred more times.
Pushing took about 15 minutes and Wade held my left hand the whole time. With Beckett, he was able to guide him out/catch him (okay, I don't really know what he actually did) but with this time, he wasn't able to do it. :) He he he. Kim told him to come on over, it was time for him to help and I remember, out of the corner of my eye, seeing him with big eyes, shaking his head no and telling her, "That's okay, I'll just stay up here with Liz."
And after that last push (one of the weirdest sensations EVER), my big little man, Jasper Bentley, was born. I don't even know what time it was. Maybe 4ish? He was 22 in long and 10 lbs exactly. Perfect, chubby, adorable, and ours. There's no special reason for the name Jasper, it was just one that Wade was enamored with (I was pushing for Cullen or Ryder). Bentley, again just because we liked it, but going with the tradition of all the boys having a LEE sound in their middle name - after Wade Lee.
This is where the excitement happened: We enjoyed that brief time with just the 3 of us after he was born. With Beckett, I passed out after I took a hot bath so I knew I should take my time this time. When I felt up to it, I got up to take a bath and rinse off. While in the tub, my stomach started cramping up and I felt urges to push again. I passed a couple of softball sized blood clots and the nurses were starting to freak out. The water was bright red and I was starting to go downhill fast. I was still in a lot of pain and began to get light headed and short of breath. Wade was quickly by my side and knew that things weren't good. Before I knew it, they were getting me out of the tub and back to the bed. I don't really remember how that happened as I was only half conscience. I couldn't breath, was wet, naked and in pain. As nurses were rushing around me trying to figure out what was wrong, Wade sat helplessly in the corner of the room, holding our son, tears in his eyes, not knowing what was happening.
Okay, above mentioned child is awake, so looks like there will be a part three. :)
4 comments:
OMG!!!
lol kolby
oh the suspense!
seriously, its been 7 days.....where is part 3?!??! :)
ok,ok, i realize you have 3 kids, and i'm not one to talk, since i havent updated my blog in months...haha :) i'm just anxious to hear the rest!
Post a Comment