{this picture was not from today. It was actually taken on Reese's birthday last month!}
And for some reason, as we were sitting there eating our PB&Js, I thought, "Oh, this is fun, I should make this my Facebook status and send it from my phone!" But then talked myself out of it, since that'd be silly. I mean, we have picnics at the park at least once a week. No big deal. I mean, who really cares if I'm at the park with my kids? Why do I feel the need to share that? So I can look like a good mom? I mean, REALLY.
Then as the kids were playing, a little voice in the back of my head said, "Hey, now would be a good time to check my messages on Facebook. I wonder if so-and-so has gotten back to me yet." I quickly decided against it, but was still confused why I even wanted to be on the internet instead of running around with my kids. I used to never be like this!
It's an addiction. Similar to drugs, it sucks you in and makes you want more. When I first got this phone that has internet on it, I wasn't completely sold on it. The salesman at the store told me, "But you don't have to wait 'til you get home to check your email or Facebook!" And I thought, "Oh, heaven forbid you wait until you get home! Oh how awful!" (Actually, i might have said this outloud....)
Another example, last night I was hanging out with my sister and Wade. I was telling them a story about my day, when I realized neither of them were looking at me, they were both staring at their phones, online, only half listening to what I was saying.
I'm over it! As a culture, we are slipping into the attitude of having every bit of information at our fingertips. Technology is wonderful, really it is. And I'm not about to go and delete my Facebook or email accounts because the benefits of them definitely outway the disadvantages. But there has to be technology etiquette or something. Boundries. People first, technology second. And stop sharing every little detail about your life that day, and just LIVE IT!
Am I the only one here?

No comments:
Post a Comment