Home      About Me     The Husband      Our Kids     Wish List

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Money-Saving Tip I

When it comes to money, I've always been a saver. Thrifty. Frugal. Cheap. Call it what you want, but I've been like this even back when I was younger. When I got birthday money as a kid, I usually chose to put it in my savings account (or I was forced to...I'm not sure) and by 16 I was investing money in mutual funds.

Anyway, now that I stay at home with my kids, I'm always looking for ways to save money so that we can live off of one income. It always made me feel way cheap in a society that was obsessed with spending. But....... as you know, the tides have changed, and our economy is now in a recession. Bad for the US, great for me! Suddenly, every magazine, TV show, book is giving advice on how to save some money. And now it's perfectly understandable to decline an invite out to eat or something similar because "money's tight" and "we're in a recession". Luckily, this recession hasn't really affected us that much, but I am loving that more people are interested on saving money.

So, to mix up some of the family posts, every once in awhile I'll post ways that we save money as a family. Most of them are pretty small and seem insignifigant, but a lot of small savings add up to a big chunk of money which equals me staying home to raise our kids!

So here's the first one:
Soap. With changing lots of diapers comes washing lots of hands. So I've found a way to stretch the soap to go a little bit farther.

I love the Bath and Body Works Foaming Soap, but I've learned that I can basically double what I get by diluting it with water with a 1:1 ratio. The foam seems exactly the same and I've been playing around with exactly how much water I can add before I can tell a difference. I've also gotten many of these as gifts, and you can't get much cheaper than free.
For the kitchen, I purchased a KitchenAid Foam Soap Pump for $15 at Kohl's (on sale and with a gift card, of course!). It requires 10% soap (the regular kind) and 90% water. Shake and use! It's pretty awesome.
And there's more tips where that came from, so stay tuned! ;)

2 comments:

JW said...

Hey, Liz! Since we seem to be similar in our money habits from your post...I thought I'd share a tip/good thing we recently did.

Levi learned about Dave Ramsey and his financial classes and led one at our church this winter/spring. Dave Ramsey is a fairly well-known financial guy and you can take his Financial Peace University class. It was 13 weeks, but it was AWESOME! I could tell you more if you are interested, but I have totally been plugging it to people. Levi and I are both pretty frugal, but we have already seen changes since the class. Dave is big on a cash envelope system that has helped and...well I could go on and on.

Just a thought. I hope you're doing well! Your blog is cool. It always seems to be interesting!

Liz said...

Yes! I want to know more! You should blog about it!!! ;)