Home      About Me     The Husband      Our Kids     Wish List

Monday, November 9, 2009

Black Bean Brownies, wait... WHAT?!?!

Yes, you read that correctly. Beans. In brownies.

I've wanted to try these for awhile now, and finally got around to it this weekend. I'm on this little health kick right now and remembered this little recipe I had sitting on a back shelf in my brain, so I decided to try it.

And they were actually pretty good!!! I think I overcooked them a little bit so they weren't as chewy or fudgy as I was expecting, but still not too bad. You couldn't even taste the beans. I might tweak them a little and substitute applesause for the oil next time, but overall pretty darn good!



Black Bean Brownies

1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
3 eggs
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 pinch salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon instant coffee (optional)
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease an 8x8 square baking dish.



Combine the black beans, eggs, oil, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla extract, sugar, and instant coffee in a blender; blend until smooth; pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top of the mixture.


Bake in the preheated oven until the top is dry and the edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan, about 30 minutes.

Another version I found for this called for one can of beans (plus the liquid), one box of brownie mix, and 1/4 cup of water. Blend it together in a blender and cook similar to above recipe. Just might have to try this one, TOO!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YUM!!!!!

-olivia