Home      About Me     The Husband      Our Kids     Wish List

Friday, July 22, 2011

Letters on Breastfeeding

Dear Current Nursing Mamas,

Yay for your commitment to breastfeed your child! As you know, breast milk is sooo great for that baby. And you don't need me to tell you that its not just that milk that's so awesome, it's that relationship and bond that just you and your baby have. You have exactly what that baby wants and needs at any given time of the day- to be snuggled close to you all warm and cozy while getting a little snack or a big meal. I didn't realize this with my first kid. It's really so simple. If your baby's crying or fussy, NURSE HER! With Reese I totally didn't get this. When she'd scream at me, I'd be so confused about what my baby wanted. I had fed her 20 minutes ago, she had a clean diaper, she wasn't too hot/cold, I'd pick her up and bounce her. I was worn out (and stressed out) from guessing what the heck she wanted from me. It wasn't until Beckett that I learned to just nurse him as often as he wanted, for as long as he wanted and both of us were much happier.

I get so sad watching some of you new mamas struggle to get your baby to quiet down, embarrassed because people are staring at you like, "Can't you make him stop!?" Or your at home by yourself, frustrated, not knowing what else to try to make your baby sleep or be happy. I know it doesn't work in every circumstance, but try it- wherever you are, just feed her.

It doesn't matter if your at church, at a restaurant, in a movie theater, or in your friend's living room. If your baby is freaking out, try nursing him. Don't worry about what people think. Get over being uncomfortable. It will be awkward and nerve wracking at first, but you will get better at it and therefore gain confidence. Start by practicing at home, then try it outside in your backyard. Then try it when your with a close friend and go from there.

Let's teach people that nursing your baby is something totally normal that shouldn't have to be hidden. Sure, cover yourself up, but stop acting like it's a huge secret how we feed our babies. It took me a long time to get here, but it's made breastfeeding so much more enjoyable when I know that I can go just about anywhere and not worry about if my baby is going to "act up". Let's stop sequestering ourselves to public restrooms for 30 minutes at a time and get out there and enjoy the activities and people you're with. The more of us who do it, the more acceptable it will be!

                                                                                            With love,
                                                                                                            Liz



Dear Everyone Else,

Women have breasts. (I'm guessing you already knew this, but I'll keep going...) Approximately 50% of the human population have them and their main purpose is feeding their offspring. *gasp!* There, I said it. Now it doesn't have to be a big secret anymore! And now that you know this fact, can we all just be cool when a mom nurses in front of you?

I truly don't want to make anyone uncomfortable, I just want to feed my baby while still feeling included. It totally stinks to have to go sit in a separate room by myself (or even worse, a bathroom-yuck) while everyone else is hanging out and having fun. As the saying goes, you don't eat your meals where people use the restroom, right?

You can still look me in the eye and talk to me while I'm nursing, you don't have to get all weird. That just makes me feel guilty, like I'm doing something I shouldn't be. Seriously, it's really not that big of deal! No one has ever said anything to me to make me feel bad, but for some reason, our culture has made it seem as if that's not something that's done in public. Well, guess what. Just because I'm a mom doesn't mean I want to stay confined to my house all day in case my child wakes up and wants to eat. So please, please don't make a big deal out of it. Be understanding and respectful. Don't gossip about it afterwards. And most of all, support that breastfeeding mama that you know. It's so crucial for the health and well-being of that babe which, really, is the most important thing of all!

                                                                                             Yours truly,
                                                                                                               Liz :)

3 comments:

JW said...

I LOVE THIS! Can I print it off and hand it out as a flier to friends, family, and people on the street? :) I have relaxed quite a bit about breastfeeding in public over the course of my two previous kids and am glad I have. One other thing that bugs me, though, is when certain people bug you to pump simply so they can have the experience of feeding your child. Um...that's kind of my thing right now seeing as I have all of this milk attached to my body. Sorry, folks! I only pumped with my second and that was only for my occasional convenience (having a bottle for a church service, etc). Anywho...I hope you are doing well. One of these days I need to send a long, question-filled message on your experience with your 10lb boy. Carst was 9lbs 11oz and my doctor here is a tad on the "big babies can get stuck" side of things and I was just wondering how it all went for you. Take care!!!

Liz said...

Jess I'm glad you liked the post! I wrote it, then almost didn't publish it b/c I thought, what if no one agrees with me??? then i was like, oh who cares.

but yes, send me a msg! we must catch up! i can't wait to hear how things have been going :)

Melissa said...

totally agree with you!! That is awesome that you would write this out for the whole world to see!! awesome!! I do nurse everywhere with out using a covering my baby, but I also make sure it is modest! I think people need to see it! :o)