Home      About Me     The Husband      Our Kids     Wish List

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Rainbow Cupcakes



 
I made these rainbow cupcakes this weekend for our family reunion and they were a big hit. The last time I made these was at Wade's birthday party last year. I think they are so much fun and so stinkin' cute! They are not too tough to make, they just take a bit more time than your average cupcake.  


The directions are simple: Take a box of white cake mix and mix according to directions. Separate the batter equally among six small bowls. Add drops of food coloring to each bowl. (I use AmeriColor's soft gel paste that I found at Hobby Lobby. You don't have to use very much to get bright, vivid colors!) When I first saw this a long time ago, the layers were all equally stacked and layered, but that seems impossible to achieve so I just plop a blob (ha, that sounded funny) of each color in each muffin cup. It's very forgiving- if you get more of one color, no big deal, it'll still look cool. Fill half full and bake as directed. Yes, it's a little time consuming, but so worth it!

I top them with a buttercream frosting. Once I discovered how fabulous homemade frosting is, I'll never buy store bought again!

Buttercream Frosting

1/2 c butter
1/2 c shortening
2 tsp vanilla (or any extract)
1/8 tsp salt
5 c powdered sugar
1/4 c whole milk

Beat together butter, shortening, vanilla, salt until creamy. Gradually add sugar and milk and beat until smooth.


**Nicole McIntosh, thought of you when I made these! I know you appreciate yummy food and pretty things, and these are both. :) **

No comments: