Reese and I have been working on our letters. She's known her alphabet since she was 2, so we've now moved on to writing each letter and talking about what sounds they make. She's doing so well. This fall we starting making letters to represent a word that started with that letter.
To save on paper, we used the thin cardboard from granola boxes and crackers waiting to be recycled. I usually used the letter of the day that was on Sesame Street that morning. We chose the word together, then I let her decorate it with markers, crayon, paint, collage, etc.
We put it up on the window with tape so she could see it and then got out her whiteboard and markers so she could practice writing that letter.
We are over half way through the alphabet and this is what our window looks like so far!
Y is for Yellow
P is for Pig
R is for Rice
M is for Monster
K is for Kick
Q is for Queen, etc
It's been fun so far since she can see them every day and is constantly saying things like "P makes the 'puh puh puh' sound like the potatoes we're having for supper!" It's soooo cute!
The window was getting kind of full, so we just took the letters down this morning and put them in an "alphabet book" so she can flip through and continue to practice writing her letters.
(And then a little while back I found the fabulous site No Time for Flashcards where that mom did almost exactly the same thing! It is UNREAL how similar our letters turned out, and I thought I was a genius for coming up with such a creative idea on my own. Check out hers for even more ideas!)
(And then a little while back I found the fabulous site No Time for Flashcards where that mom did almost exactly the same thing! It is UNREAL how similar our letters turned out, and I thought I was a genius for coming up with such a creative idea on my own. Check out hers for even more ideas!)
2 comments:
Good job Liz,I have the smartest and the cutest!! grandaughter around!!
Liz, You are such an awesome momma! You have the best ideas! What a little sweetheart! Good to see you last weekend and hope to see you and the kids soon :)
Post a Comment