Home      About Me     The Husband      Our Kids     Wish List

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Thoughts on Running (Part Two)

After we got to the starting line, we had to wait in the rain for another 45 minutes. I was wet, freezing, lonely, tired, and grumpy. I wasn't running this race to get a fast time, I just wanted to have fun, and so far it was not fun.

I fought the urge to just run back home (which was only 2 miles away), crawl back in bed and blame it on the weather.

But before I knew it, the race had begun, I started running and I didn't have any more time to feel annoyed. It was still raining, but I barely noticed because I was so caught up in the excitement of the fact that I was actually doing this! I wasn't fast, in fact, my running was about the same pace as some of the power walkers. At one point, a giant man resembling Paul Bunyan was walking and actually passed me. Yeah. I was that slow. But I kept running and didn't stop. Somewhere during the 6th or 7th mile it stop raining, but my clothes were still soaked and were so heavy.

Besides the 11th mile, I ran the entire thing in just under 3 hours. I did it! And it was awesome, hard, uncomfortable, invigorating, challenging and fun. I can't express to you how much of a NON-RUNNER I am (or was?). Like I had said in the November post, running made me anxious and I preferred being in a pool instead of a track. It was sooo out of my comfort zone, which is what I loved best about this experience. I hope I never stop doing things that scare me a little. Things that seem impossible.

 Things that I would have never envisioned myself doing.


What I learned from this experience:

Anything is possible. Really. It takes hard work and some effort, but I'll never limit myself to the things I can do again.
I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13 (NIV)

Working out as a mom is tough. I wanted to accomplish this goal before I had anymore children because I figured it would only get harder. I found I had to schedule my runs before they got up or after they went to bed, or else find someone to watch them. (Most of my training was during Wade's busy season.) I used them as excuses a lot.

Good shoes are important. Way more important than I thought!

I'll probably never be an early bird. I thought maybe after I got into a routine, I'd be able to hop out of bed and look forward to my run. Week after week, I struggled to get out of bed. I think in the end, I'll always prefer sleep.

Having a goal is important. I have not ran at all since my race. I have no reason to now. I think I'll continue doing races (maybe only 5k) just to give myself something to work towards. Without them, I'll be unmotivated to keep running.

And as far as our bet on the sidebar..... yeah, Wade won the $100. BOO!

He has the money, and is still undecided about what to do with it. I, on the other hand, knew exactly what I'd spend it on! Boys.

Anyway, that's about it on my experience with running! I think I'll continue it occasionally, because I did end up enjoying how I felt afterwards. (Such pride! After I ran my 8 miles, I wanted to tell everyone I passed, "Hey, yeah, sorry my face is all red. Just got done running 8 miles. Just a little Saturday jog, no big deal.") We'll see...

So what should I do next?! Any suggestions? It doesn't have to be athletic-related. In fact, I'd prefer if it wasn't. :)


Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
Matthew 19:26 (NIV)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

FYI-your post have kinda motivated me!!! I just ran a mile without stopping...which is pretty good b/c I'm really out of shape!!!

Danielle

Liz said...

oh danielle that's awesome! that's how i started out too. keep it up!!! :)

Christina H said...

Liz!!! I am so very proud of you!!!!! that blog made me smile!!! you did it!! that is amazing!!!! lets do something with cooking involved next! and i will try and do it in NJ lol. Love you running lady!