Home      About Me     The Husband      Our Kids     Wish List

Friday, June 11, 2010

Thoughts on Running (Part One)

It all started back in November with this post. Now that this little 12 mile race I ran about a week ago is over and done with, here's a little recap of how it all went down:

Friday night we cruised into Des Moines and I was feeling pretty good. I knew that I couldn't prepare myself anymore, so the pressure was off and I was just looking to have a good time. Wade and I picked up my race packet that night and shortly after seeing all the other runners, I began to feel way out of my league. Like I was the girl who didn't have the fancy running shoes, the right clothes to wear, or even knew what the heck I was doing.

All of those feelings, plus the forecast of torential downpours from 7-9 am the next morning, left me wide awake that night. It was after midnight before I was finally able to fall asleep. I woke up many times throughout the night with so much anxiety.

When my alarm went off at 5 o'clock am, I didn't feel well rested. I grabbed a banana and Wade dropped me off at the shuttle bus and drove away. It was raining, dark, and I was by myself. We had to walk a mile to get to the starting line and I was already in a bad mood. Everyone else had ponchos or sweatshirts on and all I had on was a tank top. After we got to the starting line, we had to wait in the rain for another 45 minutes. I was wet, freezing, lonely, tired, and grumpy. I wasn't running this race to get a fast time, I just wanted to have fun, and so far it was not fun.

Continued later. :)

In the meantime, here's what we've been up to around here:

Potty Training (going well!)

T-ball (not going so well.)

Last night of dance class last night. Can't believe it's already over! :(
Recital this weekend!!!!

Dreaming of someday living in a big house like this (built in 1900!). Snapped this picture after playing across from the park we were at this week.

No comments: